Blog Archive

Monday, November 18, 2013

Specifically about me using Strengthsquest

Hi Friends,
So I decided recently to retake some assessments that I took once upon a time in college.
These assessments honed in on my personality type and my interests.
They connected me with jobs that I would love most and what jobs I would be most satisfied in.
I love taking assessments. Particularly these.
After taking them, I wanted everyone to take them and I wanted to know their results too.
That's when it clicked.
I wanted to be certified to give these exams to people.
I've always LOVED helping people discover what they love, by introducing them to new things.
I love learning new things about myself, that rein true to me, and learning new things about others.
So it became clear that maybe I would be super satisfied as a career counselor.
And one day, I would love to give it a go.
But these things take time.
And money.
In order to be career counselor, I would need to either go back to school and get a masters in a few options, or I would need to become certified.
The certifications cost a bit of money... $1400 per assessment.
Once certified, I get the tests, worksheets, resources, books and everything necessary to give these.
I can only hope one day I am able to.
Anyway...
I thought that maybe it would be interesting to people to list more specifically what sorts of things these assessments told me about myself. 
Maybe knowing I learned these things, will motivate you guys to want to take them as well.
If you are an alumni, they usually will give you codes for free if you call their career exploration center.
At least it was that way for me.
So more specifically....this is who I am:

1. Strengthsquest. My 5 signature themes- copied and pasted small part. (too long otherwise)
DISCIPLINE
Your world needs to be predictable. It needs to be ordered and planned.. Faced with the inherent messiness of life, you want to feel in control. The routines, the timelines, the structure, all of these help create this
feeling of control. 
INDIVIDUALIZATION
Your Individualization theme leads you to be intrigued by the unique qualities of each person. You are
impatient with generalizations or “types” because you don’t want to obscure what is special and
distinct about each person. Instead, you focus on the differences between individuals. You
instinctively observe each person’s style, each person’s motivation, how each thinks, and how each
builds relationships. You hear the one-of-a-kind stories in each person’s life. This theme explains why
you pick your friends just the right birthday gift, why you know that one person prefers praise in public
and another detests it, and why you tailor your teaching style to accommodate one person’s need to
be shown and another’s desire to “figure it out as I go.”
CONSISTENCY
Balance is important to you. You are keenly aware of the need to treat people the same, no matter
what their station in life, so you do not want to see the scales tipped too far in any one person’s favor.
In your view this leads to selfishness and individualism. It leads to a world where some people gain an
unfair advantage because of their connections or their background or their greasing of the wheels.
POSITIVITY
You are generous with praise, quick to smile, and always on the lookout for the positive in the
situation. Some call you lighthearted. Others just wish that their glass were as full as yours seems to
be. But either way, people want to be around you. Their world looks better around you because your
enthusiasm is contagious. Lacking your energy and optimism, some find their world drab with
repetition or, worse, heavy with pressure. You seem to find a way to lighten their spirit. You inject
drama into every project. You celebrate every achievement. You find ways to make everything more
exciting and more vital.
STRATEGIC
The Strategic theme enables you to sort through the clutter and find the best route. It is not a skill that
can be taught. It is a distinct way of thinking, a special perspective on the world at large. This
perspective allows you to see patterns where others simply see complexity. Mindful of these patterns,
you play out alternative scenarios, always asking, “What if this happened? Okay, well what if this
happened?” This recurring question helps you see around the next corner. There you can evaluate
accurately the potential obstacles. Guided by where you see each path leading, you start to make
selections. You discard the paths that lead nowhere.

I'd say all those ring VERY true to who I am as a person. Those who know me personally will likely agree.
This assessment was easy and fun to take. When i took it in college I had all different themes except Individualization. I was told that my previous themes could still be considered my own if I felt they still applied to me as a person, some of them did, some did not.
All in all, I am happy with my new themes.
I recommend taking it!
http://www.strengthsquest.com/home.aspx
It's worth the free alumni code or the $10.00 a code.
xo
Franee


No comments:

Post a Comment